Tuesday 17 March 2015

Slaanesh Maulerfiend - The Colours of Chaos


Fresh from the Hell-Forges of Lathe, the Castigators have taken possession of another vile and blasphemous Daemon-Engine. As the inhabitants of the Pandora Cluster scurry deep underground to escape the attentions of the Castigators' Heldrake, little do they realise that they are being herded into the waiting arms of a Maulerfiend codified 'Tormentum.'








The Maulerfiend was a model that didn't really make my soul sing aesthetically and I really wanted to convert one to look similar to a Fiend of Slaanesh.....yeah I know, I'm probably the only person who thinks that Fiends of Slaanesh look ace, but there you go. Unfortunately an upcoming tournament put paid to that idea, so I just had to build it straight from the box.....sometimes you just have to grit your teeth, paint it quickly and get it on the table.



I'm reasonably happy with how it's turned out considering it only took a couple of days to paint. I'll probably return to it later, when I have more time, although my coffee modelling table is once again looking a bit over crowded, so it might be a while before that happens ;-)




On the battlefield it usually runs with my Spawn and Bikers, if it makes it into combat it usually performs admirably. Fortunately it's cheap enough that if fails to make it into combat (it really does seem to get immobilised an awful lot!), then it's not the end of the world. It would be interesting to see how effective two of them would be but I prefer to run highlander lists so I doubt if I'll ever run another, but who knows? Maybe one day my competitive streak will return.


Until next time.....may Our Lady grant you her number ;-)

4 comments:

  1. That's a great looking paint job. I found it to be a bit of a chore to paint but nowhere near as painful as the Heldrake. I enjoyed painting my Maulerfiend up, the Heldrake though was another story.

    Funny, mine gets immobilized all the time too. I lose mine to overwatching plasma guns way more than I should as well. The low cost means I don't sweat it too much but still rather upsetting when it happens nearly every game...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cheers Thor.
    I found painting the Maulerfiend reasonably enjoyable to paint, it can be painted in five easy pieces (unlike the Heldrake, which needs to be painted in way too many pieces) and it goes together really easy.
    My Mauler was immobilised by a crack missile at the weekend and it's happening so often that I'm seriously thinking about adding a Warpsmith to my list.......then again, my Noise Marines would no longer be troops then, so perhaps I'll just offer up a sacrifice to the dice gods ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like the Warpsmith. It's one of my favorite HQs even if he's not the most competitive. I've learned though that having him fix anything is cool but situational. You have to be near the model and the unit the Warpsmith is in needs to not be otherwise occupied. Then you have to weigh the odds of repair against what him and his unit could be doing. Most of the time I just let it go and don't repair, as odd as that sounds. Only when everything aligns just right do I get the chance.

      Delete
    2. I like the model and I have this picture of him joining a Noise Marine squad to tank wounds on until something needs repairing. Unfortunately because of the Lord rule I cannot fit him in with my Noise Marines. Hopefully he'll become an option when/if Slaanesh receives a cult Supplement/Codex similar to out Khornate cousins ;-)

      Delete